Last minute NW summer escapes
- Crystal Mountain Resort – With full-service accommodations, tasty dining options, scenic gondola rides, and a trail system worth exploring, there’s a lot to love about a visit to Crystal Mountain. The resort closes on 9/17 for the fall season and reopens in the winter for ski season.
2. Sunrise at Mount Rainier National Park –Explore the nature trails, walk along Sourdough Ridge and get your fix of the spectacular scenery while you can. The Sunrise Visitor Center closes at the end of the day on September 24.
3. Paradise – For over a century people have flocked to see the natural beauty at Paradise. It has something to offer visitors of all ages and physical abilities. The scenery can be enjoyed from the trails or from the comfort of your car.
4. Mt. Rainier Railroad and Logging Museum – Climb aboard a scenic steam train ride through the forest and foothills south of Mount Rainier. Don’t miss this special event: Washington Wine Express on September 9 and 10.
5. Northwest Trek Wildlife Park –Get a rare glimpse into the wild and wonderful world of Roosevelt elk on these special tours during the “rut” or breeding season each September. Listen for elk calls, look for special postures, and hope to witness some good old fashioned sparring.
6. Geocaching – 100 caches are hidden around the mountain. Explore, solve puzzles and find clues that lead to hidden treasure.